Sheared Bliss


Weekend Wrap-up
March 30, 2011, 9:17 pm
Filed under: Fiber Arts, Food, History, Museum, Sewing | Tags: , , , , , , ,

On Saturday there was some museum-ing.  It was Dairy Day and PioneerV and I were in charge of churning butter.

There were also new lambies to ogle.

On Sunday, MommaCodeMoneky and I sewed.

What is it?  Well, you’ll just have to wait until it’s finished to find out.

Advertisements


Not what I was expecting
March 21, 2011, 12:58 pm
Filed under: Food, Randomness | Tags: , , ,

Sooo . . . if you have two identical plastic containers in your refrigerator, one containing half a red onion and one containing half a red apple, be very careful which container you grab when packing your lunch in the morning.



Sewing Sunday
March 20, 2011, 9:50 pm
Filed under: Fiber Arts, Randomness, Sewing | Tags: ,

It may have also been a somewhat silly Sunday.

My lovely assistant is modeling a collar.  We may need a bit of clarification on how exactly it should be worn.



Spinning Sunday
March 13, 2011, 5:52 pm
Filed under: Fiber Arts, Spinning | Tags: , , , , , , , ,



FO Friday
March 11, 2011, 11:09 pm
Filed under: Fiber Arts, FO Friday, Knitting | Tags: , , , , ,

Pattern: Shalom from Involving the Senses

Yarn: Jo Sharp Silkroad DK Tweed in colorway 420 Eden (4 balls) and Jo Sharp Silkroad Aran Tweed in colorway 142 Taffeta (3 balls)

Modifications: I bought the yarn from Wooden Spools and they only had three balls of the aran in taffeta.  Now, the pattern doesn’t actually give yarn requirements, just gauge.  The Ravelry page for the pattern calls for 425 – 475 yards of bulky yarn.  The tips page by the designer says you can also use 880 yards of DK or light worsted doubled.  However, the projects posted on Ravelry of this pattern seem to be all over the map in terms of yardage.  Therefore, I convinced myself that 312 yards of aran held doubled with 441 yards of DK would work.  What actually ended up happening was that, in an effort to conserve the aran, I knit the garter stitch collar with two strands of the DK thinking I could do the same on the bottom edge of the sweater if I ran out of the aran before it was long enough.  Then I switched to one strand of DK and one strand of aran for the body of the sweater.  Unfortunately, I ran out of both yarns before the sweater was really long enough to call it finished.  Luckily, Wooden Spools still had the DK in stock so I got two more balls of that and ended up using half of each knitting a garter stitch hem to finish the bottom of the sweater.

Comments: Apart from the minor yarn panic, this was a really enjoyable knit.  The deceptively simple pattern has a few clever tricks up its sleeve including the through-the-back-loop ribbing in the yoke and the easy but effective shaping.



It’s alive!!!!
March 3, 2011, 9:47 pm
Filed under: Fiber Arts, Randomness | Tags: , ,

Ok, not really, but I do feel a bit like a mad scientist.  I call it . . . Frankenwinder!

A couple of years ago, MommaCodeMonkey and I made an upright skein winder out of PVC pipe.  It was beautiful, with a crank handle for turning it and everything.  The only problem was that it really wasn’t sturdy enough to wind skeins well.  It kept imploding in a tangle of yarn and profanity.

Earlier this week, as I was winding a three pound cone of sock yarn by hand, I decided it might be time to revisit the PVC winder.  After a little bit of tinkering, I now have a tabletop winder made from 17 pieces of PVC pipe, a carriage bolt, three nuts, four washers, a nylon spacer, a board, and a cardboard box.  It works pretty well except for the fact that the top nut keeps tightening.  I think I’ll replace it with another spacer or some washers or something.